Root Canal Treatment
When a dental infection reaches the pulp of a tooth, root canal treatment is used to repair and save that tooth.
Pulp Infection: Causes and Symptoms
The pulp of a tooth consists of soft tissues and nerves. A pulp infection occurs when the pulp is exposed to bacteria as a consequence of tooth decay, chips or cracks in the tooth or even repeated dental work.
Although some people may not notice any symptoms, the following concerns are generally reported by those who need a root canal:
- Tooth discoloration
- Pain and sensitivity to hot and cold foods, even after the foods have been removed from the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness of gums near the tooth
- A constantly recurring “Pimple” on the gums
Root Canal: The Process
When you walk into our office in Orange Park, FL for a root canal treatment, we generally follow the below steps:
- Take an X-ray of your teeth and check for signs of infection
- Once it has been decided that you need a root canal, we administer anesthesia to ensure that you are comfortable during the procedure.
- A hole is drilled into the infected tooth and the dentist carefully removes the infected pulp, debris, damaged nerve tissues and bacteria from the tooth.
- The tooth is thoroughly sanitized and flushed
- Post cleaning the area is sealed tightly
In some cases, the tooth may still have some considerable decay and cracks that may lead to further infections even after treatment. Extra restoration procedures are needed for such cases and a crown may be placed on the tooth to prevent it from fracturing.
Root Canals: Prevention
The primary causes of pulp infection are tooth decay and chipping, so their occurrence should be avoided. Maintaining regular oral hygiene with daily brushing and flossing is a must. You should also visit your dentist every 6 months. Those who are into sports or other such activities should always wear a mouth guard to avoid chipping and fractures in the teeth.
Need Root canal Treatment? Call your Orange Park Dentist Now!
Gone are the days when root canal was a complex and painful process – If you notice any symptoms that may indicate the need for a root canal, it’s crucial that you see a dentist right away. Call (904) 688-3056 to book an appointment at Orange Park Center for Dental Excellence.